[Test-Announce] Fedora 15 Alpha TC2 Available Now!

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 20:29:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 11:28 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 10:40 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> > On 2011/02/15 08:36 (GMT-0500) James Laska composed:
> >
> >> Good-bye install.img, hello initrd.img!
> >
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/UnifiedInitrd
> >
> >> The installer no longer needs to locate where install.img is (network,
> >> DVD, HD).  The content previously included in the stage#2 install.img
> >> file, is now included in the initrd.img.
> >
> > And goodbye to my to my customary installation method of loading installation
> > kernel and initrd from my many little 200M /boot partitions that don't have
> > room for being made larger. Good thing the two files needn't be located the
> > same place, but it makes keeping track of where they are more complex. I
> > guess I can use home's root or give home's root an install dir, and put even
> > kernel there too. Or, maybe on my user/local partition. Or, on a FAT or NTFS
> > partition?!?!?
>
> Hm, yeah, this is going to break koan as well, isn't it for systems with small
> /boot filesystems.

I could be wrong, but I don't think koan was initially designed with a
focus on small /boot scenarios.  Given it just downloads the vmlinuz
+initrd.img, it certainly lends well to that scenario.  However, any
tool that's downloading vmlinuz+initrd.img to prep a system for install
will be impacted by any file system layout for '/' or '/boot'.

I suspect we'll have several additional tools that need adjustment to
handle any /boot (or /) size restrictions.

Thanks,
James