GitHub Hosted upstream 'Source0'

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Wed Feb 16 01:11:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM, BJ Dierkes
<wdierkes at 5dollarwhitebox.org> wrote:
>  I'm wondering how other people have resolved these issues for projects using
>  GitHub as the upstream Source0 download provider.

I package a github-hosted package, and I ran across this when I was
testing with rpmlint. It is too bad that GitHub tries to be so
"clever". After reading
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL#Troublesome_URLs,
here is what I have in my .spec:

# Similar to MySQL, github has a mirror redirector for its downloads.
# You can find this tarball at the following canonical URL:
# http://github.com/masterzen/mysql-snmp/tarball/v1.0rc2
Source0:        masterzen-mysql-snmp-v1.0rc2-0-gdec3ef8.tar.gz

> Finally, debian has a web app to resolve these issues at:
>
> http://githubredir.debian.net/

Cool idea, although it feels a bit like using some sort of URL
shortener. I wish GitHub would just fix their stuff.