Procedure to push a package causing broken deps to f15?

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Wed Feb 16 09:39:15 UTC 2011

On 02/14/2011 06:35 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 06:18 PM, Tom Callaway wrote:
>> On 02/14/2011 11:58 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What is the procedure to push a package, which currently is causing
>>> broken deps in f15 to f15 as fast as possible?
>>>
>>> Though bodhi offers a "push to stable", it seems to ignore this and
>>> converts it to "push to testing".
>>>
>>> Are we supposed to wait the usual package update delays for f15
>>> packages, as well, even if they are such kind of critical as broken
>>> package deps?
>> If you're fixing a chain of dependencies, you can request a buildroot
>> override to build the chain, then push them all as a single update.
>>
>> It's not exactly what you asked for, but it is better than one update at
>> a time.
> Correct, that's not what I asked for.
>
> I was looking into fixing the 10-15 perl-packages, which have made it
> into current f15, even though they carry broken deps. Waiting the usual
> 8-10 days of delay is not helpful for such cases, because they will
> cause f15 to remain broken for at minimum this delay time (Which in case
> of dep chains, can easily evolve to several weeks [1]).
>
> Ralf
>
> [1] A similar consideration applies to fixing bugs in F13/f14, when the
> bug fix candidate pulls in a lengthy dependency chain (not uncommon with
> perl-modules).

I completely agree.

At least nag-mails about the broken dependencies (because of rpm-4.9)
should be delivered sooner or we should wait with branching or do
mass-rebuild sooner. Now we have to build everything for F-{15,16} and
even wait for testing, which is ridiculous in this case. It's only delay
fixing of broken deps.

Marcela

--
Marcela Mašláňová