Procedure to push a package causing broken deps to f15?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Feb 16 11:44:44 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 10:55 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
>> I completely agree.
>>
>> At least nag-mails about the broken dependencies (because of rpm-4.9)
>> should be delivered sooner or we should wait with branching or do
>> mass-rebuild sooner. Now we have to build everything for F-{15,16} and
>> even wait for testing,
The real problem behind all this is these packages having made it into
f15 - This should not have happened, QA should have caught them earlier,
should have fixed them or at least have informed these packages' owners.

>> which is ridiculous in this case. It's only delay
>> fixing of broken deps.
Agreed, Note my wording: I call this a "delay queue", not a "QA input
queue", because it's effectively a mere delay queue without any

> Well, I proposed a way to fix the procedure:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-February/148604.html
>
> What do you think of that?
Well, then the same will happen with the beta freeze.

To me, the key would be not to let packages causing broken deps into the
repos. QA should preform an analysis on how they made it into the repos
(In my understanding, the cause this time, was an improperly merged
last-minute mass rebuild of the perl-modules, which due to a change in
rpm's dep-tracking is causing broken deps).

That said, I would propose to immediately push package updates for f15
to testing (spares ca. 24 hours of delay) and to reduce the
"testing->stable" push delay to 24 hours or less.

Ralf