librsvg2 unmaintained?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 21 21:32:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 22:18 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:14:16 -0800, Adam wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 19:47 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >
> > > In bugzilla 553069 many of the dupes are false positives due to ABRT
> > > running wild with non-working detection of duplicates.
> >
> > For the tenth time, this is a really unhelpful way of looking at things.
> > "Detecting duplicates" is not some sort of simple, 'digital' operation
> > which either works or doesn't; it's a hugely complicated, much more
> > 'analog' area. You can't say abrt has 'working' or 'non-working'
> > detection of duplicates. It detects some - quite a lot, actually - and
> > misses others. The abrt devs are always working to make it detect more.
> > If you see a case where it misses duplicates, the correct thing to do is
> > not passively-aggressively whine about it on a mailing list, but contact
> > the abrt developers to report it, with data.
>
> Check your attitude! It is way too hostile. I don't see that you add
> anything helpful here at all. I'm not whining passively-aggressively.

Dropping a snide criticism in a message on a mailing list which is
purportedly about something else entirely is exactly passive-aggressive:
no-one can react to it without getting accused of being 'too hostile',
but it's sitting there right where everyone reads it.

> I've sent a notification to abrt-owner a few days ago, and not only
> have I mentioned the false positive dupes, I've also communicated with
> the bug reporters to have their fresh backtraces to the ticket manually.

That's great - so why put such a snide comment in a mailing list message
when you've already done the right thing? What's that going to achieve?

> Several of the wrong dupes I've looked up in bugzilla and posted the
> correct bug numbers. While at it, I've even closed several real dupes
> of the >600 open "nautilus" tickets.

Again, great.
--
Adam Williamson