systemd fail-to-boot in rawhide

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Feb 22 03:45:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 03:54:14PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Updated to this morning's rawhide. Rebooted. Now, I get to mounting my
> > filesystems, which works succesfully, and then it just sits there.
> I need more information:
> Is the plymouth screen shown?
> Does it react to Esc?
> Can you switch to another VT?
> Does it timeout after 60s?

Turns out that it was fscking a filesystem that had been scrolled off the
screen by other status messages. I left it go overnight and it was up in the
morning and I could see the output in the log. The old init system used to
give some indication of progress while this was happening (via a hack in
fsck, I believe). Is it a systemd change that is suppressing that?

> Any interesting output if you boot with "systemd.log_level=debug
> systemd.log_target=kmsg" on the kernel cmdline?

That's useful to know for the future.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>