Trying to contact David Zeuthen for nonresponsive maintainer process

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 14:05:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 13:52 +0100, Tim Niemueller wrote:
> On 22.02.2011 05:00, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 00:57 +0100, Tim Niemueller wrote:
> >> Is David still around?
> >
> > Yes, and hacking on GNOME 3.
>
> And no five minutes to care about older duties or at least reply? Too bad.
>
> >> resolve the issues surrounding Festival?
> >
> > I've asked Jason Tibbitts to approve ACLs for me, so I could approve
> > your requests. If you want to take over the package, let me know, and
> > I'll get David to drop the maintainership.
>
> Thanks for looking into this. Surprised David is so unreachable. My
> pkgdb requests were granted and I can go and add the fix now.
>
> Since David is so busy, it seems to be a better option to find a new
> maintainer for Festival. I'd be happy if any of the many co-maintainers
> would step up to this. If nobody does I could do it. A word of warning
> though that desktop development is not my primary concern (anymore), so
> someone who would look at the dependent packages would be a good idea.
>
> My repoquery fu suggests that no other package other than Fawkes (in the
> future once the mentioned bug is fixed) relies on Festival as a library,
> but rather other packages (like gnome-speech, kdeaccesibility, asterisk)
> invoke the command line tool. It might be worth considering upgrading to
> the latest stable release. But someone who maintained the package before
> should have a look at the 19 (!) patches if they have been upstreamed,
> don't need be, or should be.

Most of the people in the maintainers list are members of the desktop
team at Red Hat, the group which owned the package when it was migrated
from Fedora Core to Fedora. I doubt any of them are interested in
maintaining it.

> Anyone interested? I'd join the effort.

Most of us already have too much on our plate. If you want to help out,
great, otherwise it'll probably stay in a state of disrepair.

I don't even know if gnome-speech is still in use, nobody's committed to
it in 2 years. The kdeaccessibility or asterisk people should take over
it if they care about it.

Cheers