systemd fail-to-boot in rawhide

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Feb 22 18:46:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22.02.11 12:55, Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 01:40:51PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > the same time. That should give you a minimal idea on what is going
> > on. However no progress bar. In the syslog output the progress bar would
> > not make much sense probably. fsck (at least in the ext234
> > implementation) supports the -C parameter to direct progress bar
> > information (and only the progress bar) to a specific fd. However, that
> > information is intended for applications to parse it, not to show on the
> > screen. I am not really sure what to do about this. One option would be
> > to extend -C to show a "human readable" progress bar on the file name
> > passed. Then we could just invoke fsck with "-C /dev/console" and would
> > get a progress bar printed on the console, and the console only. But it
> > keeps me wondering how that would look like if multiple fs are handled
> > in parallel.
>
> It would look pretty ugly. But having no output at all is very undesirable,
> because it makes the system look hung, and particularly because (as in this
> case) the most recently-printed messages may have nothing at all to do with
> what is blocking the boot.

What we could do is start fsck always with "-V", i.e. verbose
mode. Should we?

> > Another option would be to parse fsck's output and forward it in some
> > form to Plymouth to show in the normal progress bar. But I am not sure
> > if Plymouth can actually do that. (Ray?) Also, this doesn't solve the
>
> Also, it doesn't solve the problem in cases where one isn't running
> plymouth, which I hope is a use case that systemd intends to take seriously.

Well, I think if we don't show progress bars if Plymouth isn't used then
that's completly OK. Also, AFAIK we don't officially support
Plymouth-less boots on Fedora right now, even though it should actually
work quite well and in systemd in general we definitely want to support
boots both with and without Plymouth.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.