Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Josef Bacik josef at toxicpanda.com
Tue Feb 22 20:03:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 14:51:50 -0500
> Josef Bacik <josef at toxicpanda.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> So we're getting close to having a working fsck tool so I wanted to
>> take the opportunity to talk about the future of BTRFS in Fedora.
> ...snip...
>
>> 1) GRUB support.  Edward Shishkin did GRUB1 patches for BTRFS a while
>> ago, but they were obviously never merged upstream and were also not
>> included into fedora.  These would either need to be cleaned up and
>> put into our grub package, or we'd need to put /boot on a different
>> filesystem.  I personally hate the idea of having a non-btrfs /boot
>> partition but I'm not the one in charge of GRUB.
>
> Perhaps if we are going to the pain of getting btrfs patches working
> and stable, we could just look at moving to grub2?

Well I don't think cleaning up the existing patches will be that big
of a deal, it's mostly a matter of testing.  The problem with GRUB2 is
it's GPLv3, explicitly to be a giant pain in the ass for porting any
new fs to GRUB since we're all GPLv2 only.  Aren't open source
licenses grand?

> ...snip...
>
>> So what are your thoughts?  Thanks,
>
> Sounds good. I'd suggest filing a feature page already and getting it
> setup with all the status, etc. That can be a central point for
> coordinating that effort.

Sounds good, I'll do that, thank you,

Josef