fail to install gcc on fresh rawhide-from-F15

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 22 22:28:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:38:24 +0100
Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> wrote:
> With some effort, and help from the guys on #anaconda at freenode
> (thanks!), today I finally installed a bare-metal F15 system (part of
> the complication was my existing partitions).
>
> Then I updated it to rawhide.  However, the whole point of this was to
> be able to compile and test some things, yet I cannot install gcc:
>
> # yum install gcc

(clip)

> Error: Package: gcc-4.3.1-6.x86_64 (rawhide)
>            Requires: cpp = 4.3.1-6
>            Installed: cpp-4.6.0-0.7.fc15.x86_64 (@rawhide)
>                cpp = 4.6.0-0.7.fc15
>            Available: cpp-4.3.1-6.x86_64 (rawhide)
>                cpp = 4.3.1-6

I'd say there's something seriously wrong with your yum configuration
or the rawhide mirror you've been using. There hasn't been a gcc-4.3.1
in Fedora for a couple of years.

Check that the rawhide yum configuration (package
fedora-release-rawhide) is installed, run
 # yum clean all
and try again.
--
Jussi Lehtola