Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 23:31:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 14:51 -0500, Josef Bacik wrote:
> So what are your thoughts?  Thanks,

Will there be any performance penalties making this move?

I ran it on my workstation when F13 came out with updates+snapshots and while updating my desktop responsiveness was well not so good.

Novice end users tools ( GUI ) and policy to clean those snapshots and perhaps storing those snapshots in it's own directory and or partition rather than directly on / need be in place before we implement this as an default.

I suggest people try it during the F15 atleast those that are considering as an default to catch any potential usability issues it did not eat any babes from me when I ran it.

I think we should also ask ourselves these questions..

What benefit will this switch bring to the novice desktop end users?

Will the novice desktop end user ever take advantages of any of the features that btrfs brings?

Just my 0.0.2 cents..

JBG