Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Josef Bacik josef at toxicpanda.com
Wed Feb 23 13:00:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:57 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 14:51:50 -0500,
>  Josef Bacik <josef at toxicpanda.com> wrote:
>>
>> 3) All the various little tools that we have for putting together
>> LiveCD's that are very ext* centered.  I've not even looked at this
>> yet, but I assume it's going to be kind of a pain.
>
> I like to see live CDs just use squashfs directly and not a squashed copy
> of an ext3/4 image. However this will break using dd to copy the image
> for installs which will slow things down. Further however, there is at least
> some interest in having live CDs and ananconda share the same install method,
> so this might be happening in any case.

This would be a great thing in general since the default ext* image is
shrunk down to be installed which creates a bad fs layout which has
performance implications.  Sure it may be faster for the install, but
overall it hurts our users.  So moving away from this "dd an image"
thing would be good for everybody.  Thanks,

Josef