Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Josef Bacik josef at toxicpanda.com
Wed Feb 23 14:27:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM, John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:
> On 02/23/2011 05:07 AM, drago01 wrote:
>> Defaults should be chooses on the metric what provides the best
>> experience for the users not based on "what we have been doing in the
>> past" (i.e stagnation).
>
> *One* data corruption constitutes EPIC FAIL.  Btrfs is too young,
> and will be for yet a while longer.

Well if data corruption is the test then we shouldn't be using Ext4
either, there was one fixed as recently as the beginning of this
month.  File systems are software like anything else, there will be
bugs.  Off the top of my head I can think of 3 data corrupters we've
had in 4 years of working on BTRFS, and they've all been hard to hit
and have not to my knowledge been seen by users, only us developers in
testing.  BTRFS is young, but we have to start somewhere.  Thanks,

Josef