Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Feb 23 17:57:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:41:49AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:

> Again, I feel the solution is to have a Fedora architect whose role is
> to realize the problems caused by seemingly isolated changes, and stop
> them from propagating. You don't just replace years of UNIX (or Linux)
> history/heritage overnight without bothering a chunk of the users.

LVM is functional for enterprise environments but awful for the common
home or office cases. If btrfs lives up to its promises it'll give us
something that provides pretty much all the functional beneft of LVM
without the additional abstraction that makes seemingly straightforward
tasks sufficiently awkward that even I find it abstruse (and I hack on
ACPI). I think that's entirely in keeping with Linux heritage.

(AIX, on the other hand, delights in partying like it's 1979. Are you
confusing the two?)

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org