state of systemd in Fedora and services pledge

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Feb 23 18:23:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23.02.11 09:39, Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger at gmail.com) wrote:

> The proposed Packaging Guidelines for systemd:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/Systemd_Revised_Draft
>
> Needs to contain the necessary scriptlets for packages that use systemd unit
> files.  At the moment, the draft only contains scriptlets for a default-off
> case.  We also need scriptlets for services which autostart and for services
> which bus activate.

There is no difference between "autostart" and "bus activate". There's
only enabled or not.

I have now added a %post example for a service that should be enable by default.

> Given that FESCo seems to be moving towards a policy that allows a
> broad range of services to autostart, we probably need the autostart
> guidelines in place soon.  The bus activated scriptlets are needed but
> we may be able to delay as it sounds like we only want a few services
> to be bus activated anyway and those services can be started as normal
> until we have guidelines on how they need to be set to autostart.

Well, in the default Fedora install there are actually quite a few bus
services, more than non-bus services.

> The scriptlets that we currently have do not work in testing.  I have tested
> the migration path from a sysv init script using service to an upgraded
> package using systemd unit files and that doesn't work.  at some point
> someone also needs to test the upgrade between systemd unit file using
> services but I personally haven't had time for that yet.  The FPC ticket has
> the steps that would constitute a good test of those services.

Would be cool to include the .spec file and .service file you used in
that ticket. It's otherwise difficult to help you from the distance.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.