BTRFS on servers (was Re: Plans for BTRFS in Fedora)

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at lesbg.com
Wed Feb 23 19:00:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 16:19 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> I'm actually quite interested in btrfs especially for servers because
> of it's features

For what it's worth, we've been running btrfs on our school fileservers
since September.  After a few teething problems (fixed by
increasing /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes), we've had pretty much zero
trouble.

The best part is we no longer need LVM on those servers and we get the
benefit of painless snapshot generation (we tried LVM snapshots and they
were *slow*).

Jonathan