Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Feb 23 20:08:08 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> said:
> You can't move PVs.

What do you think pvmove does?

> You need a separate /boot.

That's needed for more than just LVM (and probably won't go away, as it
is a lot simpler to handle a single method in the installer).

> If you use more than one
> disk then it adds significant fragility to the boot process.

How does it do that (any more than any other multi-disk setup)?

> It slows
> down booting.

Cite numbers?  It was slower early on, but it goes right by now.  I
don't doubt it adds some time (of course), but I don't see it being any
significant amount.

> It provides some functionality that's hugely useful in a
> small number of cases, and in every other case it just makes your life
> more complicated.

For most, it doesn't make things any more complicated (because they
never touch it).  I'd say that LVM is useful in a growing number of
cases.

> btrfs does the former without anywhere near as much of
> the latter.

Oh, I don't object to btrfs and having the basic volume management in
the filesystem layer.  AdvFS on DEC Unix was great in that respect.  I
object to your painting of LVM aw "awful".
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>