state of systemd in Fedora and services pledge

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 21:43:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:33:33PM +0100, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> 2011/2/23 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> > If a particular piece of software is going to convert from systemv init
> > scripts to systemd unit files we'll end up with two important rpm files.
> > One that is before the conversion and has sysv init scripts and one that is
> > after the conversion and has systemd unit files.
>
> IFAIU RPM after conversion should have both - sysv init scripts and
> systemd services.
> Why do you want to remove sysvinit scripts? Both scripts can coexist
> without any problem.

Agreement in the packaging committee is that we want one or the other but
not both because of the confusion having both will cause to people using the
package.  For example, if both are installed, a system admin might try to edit the
SysVinit script and not understand why his changes aren't having an effect
on the system.

The brief version of that is in the first note here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/Systemd_Revised_Draft#Unit_Files

-Toshio