PolicyKit authentication agent changes

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 24 01:08:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 00:14 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Can you explain what the advantage of your approach is? From a packaging
> point it looks broken: One the one hand we package a authentication
> agent that cannot run by itself, on the other we package an autostart
> file for something that is not necessarily installed.

Not sure what you mean with 'not installed'.
gnome-session requires polkit-gnome, so it better be installed.

Not sure what you mean by 'cannot run by itself' either. The
authentication agent in polkit-gnome is perfectly capable of running all
by itself. The package just doesn't inject itself in random desktop
environments anymore by installing an autostart file.

I don't mind if you add a provides to your polkit agent implementation
that wms can depend on. Thats between you and the window managers... but
as far as gnome is concerned, we don't want to depend on anything
virtual, but control which agent is running.