Services that can start by default policy feedback

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Feb 24 15:04:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 09:44:19AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > FESCo is looking at the question of what services can start by default
> > (ie, you install something and it's set to start automatically next
> > time you boot up).
>
> Honestly I think it'd be conceptually a lot simpler if all services
> didn't start on RPM installation, period.  Specific ones that we want
> enabled by default in a desktop install could simply be turned on in
> the kickstart file.

We considered that option, but it's not just about the desktop install -
you need a default set for a default install, or the entire world is
going to set fire to you because cron isn't there by default any more.
And once you've got a default set for the default install, why not just
do it at the package level and ensure some level of consistency?

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org