Services that can start by default policy feedback

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Feb 24 17:26:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24.02.11 09:06, Garrett Holmstrom (gholms at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> On 2/24/2011 8:14, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Some people have been asking us to extend the systemd unit file header
> > to include information about whether a service should be on or off by
> > default (Michal!), like chkconfig had it. But after thinking about this
> > we came to the conclusion that this information is not specific to
> > services at all, but to the distro image you install, and hence has no
> > place in the unit files. Ideally unit files are shipped along the
> > upstream sources, and whether a service is enabled by default is not an
> > upstream decision, but genuinely one not only of the distro but by the
> > particular distro "profile" installed. Hence the place to encode this
> > information is not the upstream shipped unit files and not packaging
> > spec files, but other distro specific list.
>
> So whether or not a given package will be enabled by default after I
> tell yum to install it depends on which spin, if any, that I initially
> installed my system with?  Why should the initial package set that my
> system came up with have any effect at all on what happens when I
> install something new?

No. this information would be used most only at installation time of the
system itself.

that said, I do think it would make sense to offer some command to
enable all modules that were originally enabled, to get a working system
back if you broke it. Something in the sense of #630174.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.