Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Thu Feb 24 19:54:53 UTC 2011

On 02/24/2011 08:44 AM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Dne 23.2.2011 20:49, Matthew Garrett napsal(a):
>> btrfs does the former without anywhere near as much of the latter.
> BTRFS so far only makes my kernel panicking as it did anytime I have
> been trying it since Fedora 9 (yes, I am crazy). This is absolutely not
> meant as anything personal against Josef (I know very well how
> incredibly small group are BTRFS developers), but just a bit of
> suspicion, whether "we have fsck now (or we will have fsck soon)" really
> leads so quickly "let's make it default".
>
> I am quite OK with having crashing and unstable systemd or Gnome 3 (and
> again, nothing against their developers, this is Rawhide and Fedora, so
> when my kids are alive despite me using it I am pretty happy), but
> unstable file system is quite a different matter.
>
> Could we slow down a bit, please?
>
> Matěj

Can we have pointers to these crashes or BZ reports please? As Josef has noted,
btrfs has been quite stable in our testing and we are certainly going to pursue
any reports.

Also note that the btrfs community of developers is not so small these days and
rivals (if not surpasses) the size of the team working on ext4.

Just to answer your last question,  we do not intend to "slow it down".  Rather,
we hope to speed it up considerably by adding developers, testing and users :)

Ric