Services that can start by default policy feedback

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Feb 25 16:18:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 09:46:06PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:25:44PM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
>
> > For me essential services are the services that are required to start
> > other services. If there are no services required to boot Fedora, login
> > as root and start other services, then I do not see any point of
> > requiring services to be enabled by default.
>
> So we should default to init=/bin/sh and take it from there?

Is it possible to start there and to get to a gdm login by only using
the command "service <foo> start"[0] and making this persistent by using
"chkconfig <foo> on"[0]? I doubt it, as editing /boot/grub/grub.conf does
not happen using this interface, which is where init=/bin/sh is set.
Using the command "service <foo> start" is what I meant by starting
other services as this is the usual interface for this on Fedora.

Regards
Till

[0] Or the respective systemd command