git repository with Fedora kernel(s) sources

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 25 16:32:34 UTC 2011

On 2/25/2011 7:19, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> I've got an interesting idea - why not to provide a git repository
>> with the sources of current Fedora kernel? This could simplify the
>> maintenance of patches, allows other to easily backport stuff from
>> kernel.org's master and greatly improves the current situation with
>> transparency of development process.
>>
>> I mean I almost sure that Fedora Kernel team uses git internally, so
>> why not to allow others to fork it?
>
> git://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/kernel

That repository has the spec file and build files; he means using git
for the kernel sources themselves.  Rather than keeping a stack of
patches and porting them forward all the time, one can instead keep
Fedora's patched kernel sources in a git repository and then include
kernel-2.6.38-1.1.fc15.tar.bz2 in the source RPM instead of vanilla
kernel-2.6.38.tar.bz2 and fifty patches.  Red Hat appears to do this
with RHEL 6's kernel, but their kernel repository is not
publicly-accessible.

While I can see how this might make things a bit easier, it can obscure
what commits are Fedora-specific as they are lost in the sea of the
upstream kernel's commits, making me firmly against the proposal.