Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 22:33:04 UTC 2011

On 02/23/2011 04:37 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> And I'd like to counter-counter-propose that we just stop using ANY kind of
> subvolumes or volume management by default and just default to plain old
> partitions. IMHO, LVM causes more problems than it fixes. Sure, you can
> easily add storage from another disk, but in exchange there's no
> straightforward way to resize your partitions, at least none of the common
> partition editors can do it. There's also a performance penalty.
>
>          Kevin Kofler

+1

This subvolume nonsense has no real place on any home computer/consumer
device.

On 02/23/2011 06:38 PM, James Ralston wrote:
> 1.  Separate LVM logical volumes can help mitigate consumption-based
>      DoS attacks.
>
> For example: if /tmp and /var/tmp are separate LVM logical volumes,
> then a runaway/malicious process cannot fill up the entire filesystem
> merely by filling up /tmp or /var/tmp.

Could someone please explain to me what the average "home" user has for
a ridiculous amount of partitions?

For the sake of brevity... I already understand the encrypted volumes
argument... but I still fail to see why /tmp, /var/tmp/, /opt, /usr, etc
need to have their own partitions.

The more complex a system is... the more likely it is to fail.

Having more than 3 partitions on ANY system other than production
servers seems foolish at best.

To have it as default on a modern operating system is nothing short of
insanity.

Lyos Gemini Norezel