F15 Alpha impressions

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Sun Feb 27 16:06:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 16:20 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 02/27/2011 03:55 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> >
> > When in a program (Evolution for example), it seems this is the only one
> > I see in the task window/panel or whatever up top.  I can't tell Firefox
> > or anything is running, unleses I click on the Activities link or
> > control tab.
>
> I think this is sort of intentional. If I understand the way this is
> supposed to work correctly then you are not supposed to care if Firefox is
> already running but instead simply click on it in your favorites and if an
> instance is already running it will be brought into focus or a new instance
> is started.
> Also you don't need to click on "Activities" but can simply move the mouse
> to the upper left corner to open the favorites. While this takes some
> getting used to I think it makes sense. Simply "throw" you mouse into the
> upper left corner and then click on Firefox.

OK, got the corner thing with the mouse, seems to work.  Still hate it.
Seems more work to do...move mouse, click on icon, then start.  Instead
of just going to workspace/icon or whatever and clicking on it.

> > I used to be able to hover my mouse over the time and at least it would
> > tell me the date instead of having to click on it just to see it.
>
> I think the general problem here is that with the advent of tablet and
> other touchscreen driven devices the whole hover mechanic just doesn't work
> at all anymore. On the other hand I noticed that when I move the mouse over
> an icon at the bottom right corner the icon slides to the side and reveal a
> label for that icon. So there the hover concept seems to be still alive.
> This is a problem though as apparently you cannot click that label:
> 1. Update icon appears
> 2. You want to click on it and move the mouse over it
> 3. The icon moves away from your pointer revealing the label
> 4. Clicking no longer works since the label is not clickable
> 5. You move the mouse over to the new icon position
> 6. If you overshoot the icon again slides away from you pointer => continue
> at 2.
> 7. If you don't overshoot you are finally able to do what you wanted to do
> in the first place: click that icon.

Yep, experienced same thing with the bottom right icons.  But as you
said, hypocritical when can't do it at the top over time/date/etc..but
in the bottom it's set to, yet have to hit it at right spot for it to
work.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY