git repository with Fedora kernel(s) sources

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Sun Feb 27 18:00:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 06:14:48PM +0300, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've got an interesting idea - why not to provide a git repository
> with the sources of current Fedora kernel? This could simplify the
> maintenance of patches, allows other to easily backport stuff from
> kernel.org's master and greatly improves the current situation with
> transparency of development process.

It is fully transparent already. Moving to another model like this would
actually likely be a regression in transparency, since changes would be
hidden by the increased volume of rebases or merges.

> I mean I almost sure that Fedora Kernel team uses git internally, so
> why not to allow others to fork it?

Because we're not interested in doing additional work for no benefit.
Our workflow is an SRPM of patches, so that's what we work with.
Anything else just adds needless complication, and worst of all,
increases the possibility of introducing issues.

The goal of the Fedora kernel is to stay as close to upstream as
possible, aside from a few outliers, we generally do a very good job of
that.

--Kyle