git repository with Fedora kernel(s) sources

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Sun Feb 27 18:19:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 08:32:34AM -0800, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> Fedora's patched kernel sources in a git repository and then include
> kernel-2.6.38-1.1.fc15.tar.bz2 in the source RPM instead of vanilla
> kernel-2.6.38.tar.bz2 and fifty patches.  Red Hat appears to do this
> with RHEL 6's kernel, but their kernel repository is not
> publicly-accessible.

RHEL also never rebases, which means their git tree is virtually linear.

> While I can see how this might make things a bit easier, it can obscure
> what commits are Fedora-specific as they are lost in the sea of the
> upstream kernel's commits, making me firmly against the proposal.

Correct, look at, for instance, what Ubuntu's git tree looks like during
a release, it's an utter mess of merges and local commits.

There are advantages to both, with a low patch count, I'm happy with the
workflow we have now.

--Kyle