Access rights for system logs

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Feb 27 19:30:43 UTC 2011

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:44:05 +0100
Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de> wrote:

> On 02/25/11 17:21, Till Maas wrote:

...snip...

> > I like a special group just for accounts that should be able to
> > read all log files, too, e.g. a group logread.
> >
> > Regards
> > Till
> >
> That sounds good to me. Should we include a group "logwriter" or
> "logger" for completeness?
>
> Who is in charge to change this? ... which way do I/we have to go to
> reach this aim? Is this just contacting rsyslog-maintainer to change
> ownership? I suppose not.

Were you thinking of just /var/log/messages? or all log files?
Or all syslog written files? or ?

If you are talking all log files, I would suggest making this into a
feature for f16, since it's going to require coordinating a bunch of
changes of packages to have the right group ownership of their log
files.

kevin

kevin