F15 Alpha impressions

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 06:43:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 23:18 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:03:02 +0100, drago01 wrote:
>
> > > Btw, I think the GNOME 3 roll-out in Fedora should be "all or nothing",
> > > that means, no *competing* fallback mode that tries to keep old panel
> > > features alive.
> >
> > Well the primary purpose of the fallback is to home something for
> > devices without proper 3D acceleration (either because the driver
> > sucks, the hardware is too old or because it is a VM).
>
> ... and to make it easier for people, who don't like the new GNOME,
> to switch to something more "familiar"? Just to not lose them to a
> different DE?

No. That's not an intended purpose of the fallback mode. The GNOME team
expressly does not want to maintain a 'classic' interface alongside the
new interface for refuseniks, in much the same way as the KDE team did
not want to burden themselves with maintaining KDE 3 alongside KDE 4. As
drago01 said, the fallback mode is intended _only_ to cope with cases
where the Shell actually cannot run.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey