F15 Alpha impressions

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 10:56:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 10:46 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 02/28/2011 08:43 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> >> ... and to make it easier for people, who don't like the new GNOME,
> >> to switch to something more "familiar"? Just to not lose them to a
> >> different DE?
> >
> > No. That's not an intended purpose of the fallback mode. The GNOME team
> > expressly does not want to maintain a 'classic' interface alongside the
> > new interface for refuseniks, in much the same way as the KDE team did
> > not want to burden themselves with maintaining KDE 3 alongside KDE 4. As
> > drago01 said, the fallback mode is intended _only_ to cope with cases
> > where the Shell actually cannot run.
>
> It's one thing to refuse to maintain another interface just because old
> grumpies (and yes I'll freely admit myself being one) don't like change,
> but in this case they have to maintain it anyway because gnome-shell is
> fundamentally tied to something (3d acceleration) that by its very
> nature is not going to be available in number of situations. And as an
> consquence, the user now gets (and is supposed to learn) a completely
> different environment depending on how and where he/she logs in: think
> of multiple computers (some gnome-shell capable, some not) with shared
> home directory, remote logins etc.

The fallback mode is supposed to "mimick" the gnome-shell behaviour,
within its limited abilities. You won't be able to move the applets, or
fiddle around with it. Think of it as a cut-down version of the shell.

If you see things that don't match, feel free to file bugs against
gnome-panel, and they should hopefully get routed to the right
component.

Cheers