F15 Alpha impressions

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 10:59:40 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 10:06 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 16:20 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> > On 02/27/2011 03:55 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > >
> > > When in a program (Evolution for example), it seems this is the only one
> > > I see in the task window/panel or whatever up top.  I can't tell Firefox
> > > or anything is running, unleses I click on the Activities link or
> > > control tab.
> >
> > I think this is sort of intentional. If I understand the way this is
> > supposed to work correctly then you are not supposed to care if Firefox is
> > already running but instead simply click on it in your favorites and if an
> > instance is already running it will be brought into focus or a new instance
> > is started.
> > Also you don't need to click on "Activities" but can simply move the mouse
> > to the upper left corner to open the favorites. While this takes some
> > getting used to I think it makes sense. Simply "throw" you mouse into the
> > upper left corner and then click on Firefox.
>
> OK, got the corner thing with the mouse, seems to work.  Still hate it.
> Seems more work to do...move mouse, click on icon, then start.  Instead
> of just going to workspace/icon or whatever and clicking on it.

You can also use the Windows key to get the overview (that's changeable
in GSettings), and use Alt-Tab or Alt-key-above-Tab to switch between
window groups (applications) and within groups.

> > > I used to be able to hover my mouse over the time and at least it would
> > > tell me the date instead of having to click on it just to see it.
> >
> > I think the general problem here is that with the advent of tablet and
> > other touchscreen driven devices the whole hover mechanic just doesn't work
> > at all anymore. On the other hand I noticed that when I move the mouse over
> > an icon at the bottom right corner the icon slides to the side and reveal a
> > label for that icon. So there the hover concept seems to be still alive.
> > This is a problem though as apparently you cannot click that label:
> > 1. Update icon appears
> > 2. You want to click on it and move the mouse over it
> > 3. The icon moves away from your pointer revealing the label
> > 4. Clicking no longer works since the label is not clickable
> > 5. You move the mouse over to the new icon position
> > 6. If you overshoot the icon again slides away from you pointer => continue
> > at 2.
> > 7. If you don't overshoot you are finally able to do what you wanted to do
> > in the first place: click that icon.
>
> Yep, experienced same thing with the bottom right icons.  But as you
> said, hypocritical when can't do it at the top over time/date/etc..but
> in the bottom it's set to, yet have to hit it at right spot for it to
> work.

This area isn't quite done designing I believe, and your findings pretty
much match that of other early users and developers. I'd expect it to
get fixed in due time.