Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Feb 28 18:10:28 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 17:33 -0500, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> On 02/23/2011 04:37 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >
> > And I'd like to counter-counter-propose that we just stop using ANY kind of
> > subvolumes or volume management by default and just default to plain old
> > partitions. IMHO, LVM causes more problems than it fixes. Sure, you can
> > easily add storage from another disk, but in exchange there's no
> > straightforward way to resize your partitions, at least none of the common
> > partition editors can do it. There's also a performance penalty.

> +1
>
> This subvolume nonsense has no real place on any home computer/consumer
> device.

With all due respect, that's the path chosen by certain other Linux
distributions (ones where if I install them I have to jump through all
kinds of hoops to turn on LVM). That is not the way we should be going.
I've made my objections known, added a comment on the wiki discussion
for the feature, and will raise an objection at the appropriate time
that it is proposed to drop LVM use by default. Until then, I'm done :)

Jon.