Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Mon Feb 28 18:30:08 UTC 2011

On 02/26/2011 05:33 PM, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:

> This subvolume nonsense has no real place on any home computer/consumer
> device.
> Having more than 3 partitions on ANY system other than production
> servers seems foolish at best.
>
> To have it as default on a modern operating system is nothing short of
> insanity.

You state these as facts but they are really your opinions, and many
reasonable people disagree with you to varying degrees. I for instance
like a logical volume facility, even if it is awkward like LVM. I am
really looking forward to LVs from BTRFS. Note that when the volume
management comes as part of the FS, it stops being an issue: if someone
doesn't like volumes, they may decline to use them, that's all.

I think your arguments would be more effective if you were more precise
and stated them as your opinions:

    I believe that the subvolumes are an overkill on most non-server
    systems, for the following reasons:....

Greetings