F14 smartctl - unable to complete smart test

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 20:05:28 UTC 2011

2011/2/28 J. Randall Owens <jrowens.fedora at ghiapet.net>:
> On 02/27/2011 07:30 PM, J. Randall Owens wrote:
>> On 02/27/2011 11:10 AM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This can be a hardware problem - hard to say. For some reason on one
>>> of the disks smart test is interrupted
>>>
>>> # 1  Extended offline    Interrupted (host reset)      90%     12489         -
>>> # 2  Extended offline    Interrupted (host reset)      90%     12484         -
>>>
> <snip>
>>>
>>> I'm using 2.6.37.2 with config based on an old rawhide 2.6.37. I have
>>> not noticed other problems with this disc. What might be causing this
>>> interrupts?
>>
>> I've been having similar problems lately.  First my laptop, and I
>> assumed a hardware problem, so I replaced the HDD.  Then the server
>> started doing it, which seemed quite a coincidence, but because its
>> uptime was around two months at the time and it was still running a
>> 2.6.35.9 kernel while my laptop problems started with 2.6.35.11, I
>> thought it was just coincidence.  Now, if you bring this up, I'm not so
>> sure.
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Could this possibly be a bug in something besides the kernel?  That
>> might explain why the server started getting it despite not having a new
>> kernel.  And I'd like to know before I go out buying more HDDs.
>>

> I should add, bringing this back to smartctl matters, that I tried the
> SMART testing on the server (by the time I thought of doing it on the
> laptop, I'd already put the new one in), and it didn't seem to find any
> problems with these HDDs.

I switched SATA and power supply cables for this disc with cables from
disc that works fine and problem still persists. So either it's a
hardware problem associated with this disc (I eliminated other
hardware factors) or some strange software/S.M.A.R.T bug.

I downgraded smartmontools to 5.39.1-1.fc13 and problem persists. So I
guess the final factor that needs to be eliminated is kernel bug.

> --
> J. Randall Owens | http://www.ghiapet.net/
>

> --

Best regards,