httpd and svn problems (rawhide)

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 16:53:36 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have two problems which I can't seem to get to the bottom of, both of
them are very annoying and I don't know if it's me or the software so
would rather check things before putting stuff into the big red lizard.

First is httpd (apache).

I can do /etc/init.d/httpd stop and the server stops, but when I try to
start the server I get

Starting httpd (via systemctl):  Job failed. See system logs and
'systemctl status' for details.

systemctl status httpd.service shows

httpd.service - LSB: start and stop Apache HTTP Server
	  Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd)
	  Active: failed since Mon, 03 Jan 2011 16:39:18 +0000; 33s ago
	 Process: 3902 (/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop, code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
	 Process: 1959 (/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start, code=exited,
status=1/FAILURE)
	Main PID: 2054 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/httpd.service
		  └ 2086 /usr/sbin/httpd

cat /var/log/messages | tail is also unhelpful

Jan  3 16:41:34 PB3 systemd[1]: httpd.service: control process exited,
code=exited status=1
Jan  3 16:41:34 PB3 systemd[1]: Unit httpd.service entered failed state.

/var/log/httpd/error_log is showing nothing at all

I've also attempted to set up an svn server using the instructions at

http://queens.db.toronto.edu/~nilesh/linux/subversion-howto/

using instruction 2. However, when I try to start svnserve I get

svnserve -r /svn -d
svnserve: Can't bind server socket: Address already in use

netstat is showing nothing is binding to the svn port.

I've thought it could be an selinux problem, but as I'm running
permissive, nothing is being reported back.

Any help on either of these would be appreciated :)

Paul
--
Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...