[HEADS-UP] MySQL 5.5 coming soon to rawhide

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Mon Jan 3 19:43:49 UTC 2011

Tom Lane wrote:
> Since MySQL AB^W^WSun^WOracle has now declared the mysql 5.5.x release
> series to be GA status, I'm planning to push it into rawhide shortly to
> replace the 5.1.x series.  Theoretically, this will go pretty smoothly.
>
> I'm aware of a couple of ABI-level issues:
>
> 1. libmysqlclient.so, which is linked into all manner of stuff, is
> supposed to be ABI-compatible with the previous releases.  However,
> I got tired of the amount of visible churn in exported-symbols-you're-
> not-supposed-to-use.  The new release will use a linker --version-script
> to hide everything except the documented API functions.  This might
> break any apps that are relying on non-API functions.  If so, I'm
> willing to consider on a case-by-case basis whether to add those symbols
> back to the ABI or fix the callers.
>
> 2. libmysqlclient_r.so is gone altogether; there's no need for it since
> the regular libmysqlclient.so library is supposed to be thread safe.
> AFAIK this will require rebuilding only the following packages:
>
> mysql++
> mysql-connector-c++
> nekovm
> qt-mysql
>
> For now I'll include a symlink libmysqlclient_r.so -> libmysqlclient.so,
> so that a simple rebuild with no source-code changes should be
> sufficient.  Eventually we'll probably want to fix the source code to
> not refer to libmysqlclient_r, but that might take awhile if upstreams
> are worried about portability.
>

> There are also some SQL-level incompatibilities called out here:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html
> I'm not sure to what extent these may affect Fedora applications,
> but it seems like the easiest way to find out is to try them.
>
> Any objections?  Anything people think should be tested before pushing?
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Is the following a MySQL issue or a Bacula issue?

/builddir/build/BUILD/bacula-5.0.3/bacula-mysql/src/cats/mysql.c:295: undefined reference to `my_thread_end'

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2699251&name=build.log

in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie