[HEADS-UP] MySQL 5.5 coming soon to rawhide

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Jan 3 20:16:04 UTC 2011

Jon Ciesla <limb at jcomserv.net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I got tired of the amount of visible churn in exported-symbols-you're-
>> not-supposed-to-use.  The new release will use a linker --version-script
>> to hide everything except the documented API functions.  This might
>> break any apps that are relying on non-API functions.  If so, I'm
>> willing to consider on a case-by-case basis whether to add those symbols
>> back to the ABI or fix the callers.

> Is the following a MySQL issue or a Bacula issue?

> /builddir/build/BUILD/bacula-5.0.3/bacula-mysql/src/cats/mysql.c:295: undefined reference to `my_thread_end'

Well, it's certainly a byproduct of that change.  So far as I can find,
mysql_thread_end is a documented part of the API and my_thread_end is
not.  Is there a good reason for Bacula to be calling the latter?

A quick look into the mysql sources finds

void STDCALL mysql_thread_end()
{
#ifdef THREAD
  my_thread_end();
#endif
}

which makes it look like the correct answer is "no" ...

			regards, tom lane