What to do when upstream breaks configuration

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jan 10 14:02:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 08:02 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> As a caveat, this is a project that always requires at least some manual
> intervention on upgrade, as individual sites need to have an upgrade
> script run on them. So end-users are used to taking some action.
> Unfortunately, upstream did not include this configuration change into
> the upgrade script (mostly because the location of this configuration
> file isn't guaranteed on all platforms) so it will require an additional
> step by the users.
>
> So what would be the correct way to approach this? I'm not sure if
> making a note about it in the updates description is sufficient (since

How about having the update script notify the admin of the required
change? Even if it can't automatically perform it, it can at least tell
you that it's required. And if every admin is accustomed to running that
script anyway, it seems the most sensible place to provide the
information.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey