gtk2 2.99.0

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Jan 10 23:54:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 14:13 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MC> * gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0 and gtk-builder-convert-3.0 have been
> MC> dropped (since they were identical to their un-suffixed cousins in
> MC> the gtk2 package). If you are using gtk-update-icon-cache in %post
> MC> of a gtk3-using package, you should add Requires(post):
> MC> /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache (and similar for %postun).
>
> I believe this is incorrect, or at least in conflict with the packaging
> guidelines.  Those guidelines provide scriptlets which handle
> gtk-update-icon-cache not being present, and explicitly indicate that
> dependencies should not be added.
>
> If the guidelines are incorrect, please let the packaging committee know
> so that we can get them changed.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Icon_Cache

I guess you are right; as written the scriptlets don't require us to add
those requires, and we are probably fine as long as gtk2 is still
ubiquitous. But if you think of the long-term future, where there might
be a gtk2-less install, we'll eventually make some adjustment here, e.g.
by shipping gtk-update-icon-cache with gtk3 instead of gtk2.