Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting (2011-01-11)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jan 12 18:07:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:33:06 +0100
Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 09:40:02 am Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
> wrote:
> > On 01/11/2011 08:59 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > > #topic #515 Investigate a "features" repo for stable releases
> > > .fesco 515
> >
> > I think this is a good direction to take for those that want more
> > *Bleeding edge/Next release* stuff on a stable release as in having
> > technology preview/feature repos.
> >
> > What I feel it needs is a good intergeneration with PK so users
> > could just choose to enable and install/update  it instead of
> > having to manually create repo file /etc/yum.repos.d/ then
> > install/update
> >
> > And I feel that intergrading something like this to our
> > infrstructure should work as a workable compromise between our
> > *bleeding* edge users and our regular novice stable updates
> > receiving only users.
>
> I'm not sure - the overall quality would be somehow lowered for users
> using this repo and I can't imagine maintainance overhead (if you
> want to get some quality level there). I still prefer Fn as live
> release, Fn-1 as stable.

Well, this ticket is to explore the idea and see if any ways we can
implement it will work. ;)

If you guys are interested in it, it would be great if you could
collect ideas on how it could work and outline some possible options
for fesco.

Some questions that would need to be answered:

* Would this require different branches/maintainers in our git setup?
  in pkgdb? in bodhi? in bugzilla?

* How would security updates work?

* What could be in this 'features' repo? Anything? Just end use apps?
  Entire stacks like kde?

* Should the features repo preserve upgrade path with the next fedora
  version? the next version+feature repo? rawhide?

* How could we make sure that users could easily downgrade to the
  'stable' version of something?

(and I'm sure others).

Anyhow, interested folks are advised to gather up info on a wiki page
or the like. ;)

kevin