bnx2 driver fails to load on Fedora Rawhide

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jan 18 12:00:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 15:04 +0000, Andy Gospodarek wrote:

> It looks like that firmware is in Linus' tree, but somehow it is not in
> Woodhouse's linux-firmware tree.  That seems odd.

Yeah, that's just broken. If the driver/firmware ABI changes
incompatibly and the kernel gets updated so that it can no longer use
the older firmware, then driver maintainers *need* to put the new
firmware into the firmware tree so that it actually gets to users.

In this case it looks like they only updated the legacy firmware/
directory in the kernel source itself, that people don't really use any
more and that is going to be going away real soon now. That's not very
useful.

Michael? Did you submit the new firmware for linux-firmware.git and I
just missed it? If so, I apologise; please could you resend?

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation