heads-up: systemtap-sdt-devel rebase in rawhide

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Jan 19 16:43:44 UTC 2011

Mark Wielaard <mjw at redhat.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 10:48 -0500, Stan Cox wrote:
>> mysql defines min and max to be macros in my_global.h which conflicts
>> with the definition of max and min in numeric_limits in <limits>.
>> This use of max and min is described in the WG14 c++ standard under
>> 18.3.1 Numeric limits.  Perhaps the mysql maintainers wouldn't mind
>> renaming theirs to MIN/MAX.

I think the odds of that happening are barely distinguishable from zero,
and the odds of it happening with a short turnaround time are exactly
zero.  They're going to say they don't use <limits> and are not going
to promise to avoid conflicts with any random header file that might
be out there; and besides who's going to promise them that MIN/MAX
won't conflict with something else?

Nor am I prepared to carry a patch that replaces each of the several
hundred uses of those macros in the mysql sources.

I think the only near-term fix is to turn off dtrace support in mysql.
It wasn't there till last month, and has never been in any shipped
Fedora release, so there's no real loss.

But the real issue here is that systemtap has got to be more chary of
what they expose into application namespace, or this same scenario is
going to be played out again and again.

			regards, tom lane