Updating waf to 1.6

Thomas Moschny thomas.moschny at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 18:21:49 UTC 2011

2011/1/18 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> +1 to FPC blessing.  Like I said, we can probably carve up something that
> explains both the waf POV and configure scripts here... but it'll need
> someone who knows waf to be able to explain, for instance, how waf differs
> from autoconf which has both a non-bundled and non-bundled component.

In theory, it's not complicated at all: you have a binary (+ its
library) and you have rule files describing the build process, build
options and variants, checking prerequisites, etc... within your
project.

So in theory, no need to bundle waf and the lib together with your project [*].

In practice however waf versions seem to differ enough to cause build
problems if not done with the exact same waf version the wscripts are
developed against.

So, it's neither waf is a copylib, nor is it like autotools (in that
it generates scripts).

The exception FPC to ask for is simply because it makes things easier.
Multiple waf packages would be needed in parallel, and extensive
testing for each package that BRs it. Much effort for no real gain.

- Thomas

[*] There is a small possibility projects use a patched version of
waf. Not sure if that's really the case for any package in Fedora.