Can someone please give this ticket some attention?

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Sun Jan 23 09:25:08 UTC 2011

fre 2011-01-14 klockan 16:16 -0500 skrev Nathaniel McCallum:

> I still think migrating to GNOME shell by default was a mistake if the
> proper fallbacks were not in place.  If the developers knew the
> fallbacks were not implemented (this seems to be the case), why was it
> ever enabled by default?  I have no problem with rawhide breakage from
> time to time, but intentional breakage, and indeed intentional breakage
> that leaves one with no access to their desktop, should be avoided at
> all cost.

rawhide is well.. rawhide. It often will not work for everyone, but
should work mostly formost. But you better subscribe here and keep a
non-rwhide system available when running rawhide.

> I also have not seen any documentation on how to manually restore the
> previous (gnome-panel) default.  I may have just missed it, but the
> "Desktop Effects" selector doesn't appear to make a difference.  This
> too should have been fixed before the switch was implemented.

For me the desktop effects switch works as expected, traditional gnome
when disabled and shell when enabled. But I have not updated my rawhide
in some time, and won't be able to either for some time due to ACPI
issues with the default debug kernel. Production kernels works on the
box I have available for testing, but unfornately debug kernels do not
(hangs in ACPI initialization).

Regards
Henrik