Compiz 0.9 landing in Rawhide

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jan 24 01:06:50 UTC 2011

Björn Persson wrote:
> I agree with that, and it's still annoying even if it's not literally
> everything that must be reconfigured.

Right, but:

> As an example, Kmail and Kate recently started making noises in certain
> situations, when displaying dialog boxes and the like, even though I had
> sound effects turned off.

In that case, they were always supposed to make those event sounds, there
was a bug somewhere which prevented those sounds from being audible.
(Actually, as far as I know, the bug is still present, but the sound event
files were replaced with files which don't trigger the bug.) So this is not
a settings change, it's a bug which got fixed / worked around.

> To make matters worse, I couldn't find any sound effect settings in the
> programs themselves. I had to log out from Gnome and log in to a KDE
> session to get at the KDE settings and turn the noises off.

You can run "systemsettings" from a terminal or a "run command" interface.

(I think we should reconsider the decision of having KDE's System Settings
only shown in the menu in KDE/Plasma sessions, I'll bring this up in our KDE
SIG meetings.)

> It didn't even happen with an upgrade to a new Fedora release; it happened
> with an everyday update within a release. I hate that.

As I said, those sounds were always enabled by default, there was just a bug
which prevented them from being heard.

        Kevin Kofler