KDE-SIG meeting report (04/2011)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 26 09:26:31 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 06:40:00 pm Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 01/25/2011 10:58 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > reconsider the OnlyShowIn=KDE; for System Settings
> > * ''AGREED'' to not enable it by now and ask upstream what they think
> > * reasons are
> > ** we cannot add KDE to the name as we will break translations
>
> In GNOME 3, there is a system settings as well and if GNOME and KDE are
> installed at the same time which is not unusual at all, you will get two
> menu entries that say the same thing.  Isn't that confusing?

Currently KDE System Settings are not displayed outside Plasma Desktop. But we
have request (on this list) to show it there because otherwise users can not
change settings for KDE Applications they are using (like sounds etc.). The
request also states it should be called "KDE System Settings" but we are unable
to add KDE prefix as it would break translations. As upstream wants wider
adoption of KDE Applications outside Plasma Desktop (that's one of the reason
why they rebranded desktop from KDE to Plasma, to show people they can use KDE
Applications without Plasma as desktop environment), I think there should be way
how to confugure from for example Gnome and same would be great for Gnome
Applications to be configurable from other environments. Plasma, Shell whatever
are just the face, what does matter are applications.

So for now, we stay with current status quo.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275