Support for MicroNext MN-WD550M Wireless USB 2.0 Adaptor

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 20:58:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Richard <rz at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 10:29:44PM +0000, mike cloaked wrote:
>>> I was recently testing an f14 install on an old laptop without wifi
>>> hardware - so I bought a small usb wifi adapter (MicroNext MN-WD550M
>>> Wireless USB 2.0 Adaptor) and this is recognised when plugged in:
>>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8171 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188SU
>>> 802.11n WLAN Adapter
>>>
>>> However it was clear that there was no driver support for this device
>>> in the kernel.
>>
>> See drivers/staging/rtl8192su/r8192U_core.c, did you try that?
>
> I notice that in rpmfusion free there is a kmod-staging package which
> seems to have r8192s_usb.ko and r8192u_usb.ko in it - I guess that
> this may work, but there is presumably still a need to include the
> firmware file in /lib/firmware which is proprietary but at least this
> would allow a yum update when the kernel updates and (maybe with a
> small delay) get the new driver from the new associated kmod?
>
> I suppose the mainstream Fedora kernel won't include the staging
> drivers since they would be possibly unstable?

Just a delayed update on this issue.

I did install the kmod-staging-PAE package from rpmfusion, and also
pulled the RTL8192SU firmware directory from the Realtek web site (was
in a zipped file with drivers and other files)

Once that was done the dongle worked just fine.

I wonder how long it will be before the RTL8192SU driver will be
regarded as stable enough to go into mainstream?  This works without
any problems at all for me.  Or is that a question to ask in the
kernel list?

--
mike c