gcc 4.6 for package monkeys

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Fri Jan 28 08:11:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:29:45PM -0800, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> On 1/27/2011 23:26, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> > I have just run into an issue with gcc-4.6, namely RPM Fusion's mame
> > failed to compile [1]. I was told that #include<stddef.h>  was missing.
> > So I have two questions: why did including this header directly became
> > necessary (code builds fine with 4.5) and are there any other issues we
> > package monkeys might run into with a new compiler?
>
> GCC 4.6 changed a lot of compiler warnings to errors, so a lot of code
> (especially C++ code) that used to get away with violations like
> omitting headers or assigning to un-assignable things will now fail to
> build.

Care to share details?  Of course there were many changes in the C++ FE,
especially for C++0x, and maybe some warnings changed into errors, but
nothing I'd describe as a lot.  We haven't still written
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.6/porting_to.html so if you have interesting
info about changes that affect a lot of packages, details would be certainly
welcome.  The STL changes not to include <cstddef> internally is certainly
one thing that will be added there.

	Jakub