How to best debug kernel problems

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Fri Jul 1 03:09:12 UTC 2011

> I have been having problems with my Lenovo T61 and Rawhide. Currently
> the system will do all kinds of watchdog resets when I am booting the
> 3.0 kernels but not with the 2.6.38 kernel. I am trying to figure out
> how to best capture and debug them as they tend to scroll off the
> screen faster than I can catch anything.

Does serial console (Documentation/serial-console.txt) work over the
modem port of a T61?  You'll need a null modem cable and another
machine running minicom.
What about netconsole (Documentation/network/netconsole.txt)?
What about Documentation/sysrq.txt ?
Those are the lowest-level techniques for getting info out of a kernel.